To J. N. Tata September 16, 1902. --A RE S T L E SS P EN --Dadabhai Naoroji

Pray do  n ot be annoyed  for  t r o u b l i ng  y ou again. Is, it  n ot
possible for  y ou  ro raise the  m i l l i on  y ou wa nt  f r om the  Indi an
Princes ? To me  it  is a matter of  g r i ef that  y ou should become the
instrument of enabling foreigners  to carry away the natural
we a l th  of India  w i t h the  o n ly benefit  of some thousands  of Indians
earning a  l i v e l i h o o d. To my  m i n d,  it  is a great  i n j u ry  to  Indi a.
I  w o u ld rather that  this we a l th remained bur i ed than that  it
should  be carried away  by other people.  . . . I hope  y ou  w i ll
take  it  in the  spi r it  in  w h i ch I  am  w r i t i ng  i t.
T a ta  e x p l a i n ed  t h at  he  w o u l d  be  o n l y  t oo  w i l l i n g  to  f o l l o w
Da d a b h a i 's  advi ce  i f  D a d a b h ai  a nd  o t h er  I n d i an  f r i ends  c o u ld  h e lp
h i m  in  r a i s i ng  t he  r e q u i r ed  c a p i t al  in  B r i t i sh  I n d ia  a nd  t he  I n d i an
States  at  a b o ut  t he same  r a te  of  int e r e st  w h i c h  he  w o u l d have  to
p ay  in  E n g l a n d.  D a d a b h ai  w o r k e d  w h o l e - h e a r t e d ly  in  t h at
d i r e c t i o n.
I am so glad  (wr o te Tata on February 20, 1903) that once
more I have  y o ur support in my  I r on and Steel project and I thank  y ou  cordi a l ly  for  y o ur  k i nd letter. I  am disposed  to take
the sanguine  v i ew  of the Kaiser-i-Hind that  it may  n ot  be  i m -
possible to find the  w h o le capital in India—particularly as a Parsi
gentleman has, unsolicited, asked me to  p ut  h im  d o wn for a
l a k h .
1
  B ut I  w i l l  n ot conceal  f r om  y ou  my belief that  in order  to
accomplish  w h at  b o th  y ou and I  h o ld desirable—namely, starting
I r on  W o r ks  w i t h as far as possible  Indi an capital  w h o l l y —I shall
need  a ll the  p owe r f ul support that men  in  y o ur pos i t ion and  w i t h
recognized service to our  c o u n t ry can extend. Things are  s t i ll in
an experimental stage; my experts are  w o r k i n g, and I am determi n ed  n ot  to  i n v i te subscriptions  of capital,  u n t il  by a  t r i a l -pl ant,
costing something  l ike 4 or 5 lakhs, I have felt sure of success.
It was  n ot  g i v en  to  t he greatest  I n d i an  i n d u s t r i a l i st  of  the  d ay  to
see  t he results  of his  s p l e n d id scheme  to raise  I n d ia  to  t he status  of
o ne  of  t he greatest  i n d u s t r i al  c o u n t r i es  of  t he  w o r l d .  He  d i ed
b e f o re  t he scheme  h ad passed  t h r o u g h  t he  e x p e r i m e n t al stage.
W h e n ,  h o w e v e r,  it  m a t e r i a l i z e d,  a nd  w h e n  c a p i t al was  i n v i t ed
f r o m  the  p u b l ic  ( A u g u st 1907),  the  T a ta offices  in  B o m b a y  w e re
besieged  f r o m  e a r ly  m o r n i n g  t i l l late at  n i g ht  b y  c r o w ds  o f
i n v e s t o r s.  At  t he  e nd  of  t h r ee we eks  e v e ry  rupee  of  t he  e n t i re
c a p i t al  r e q u i r ed  at  the  t i me was  c o n t r i b u t ed  by  I n d i an  i n v e s t o r s.

No comments:

Post a Comment