I N D I A N E X P E N D I T U RE C O M M I S S I ON

T h en there was the  m u t i ny of 1857.  T he causes we re the
mistakes and mi smanagement  of the  B r i t i sh peoples'  o w n  a u t h o r ities; the people  of  I n d ia had  n ot  o n ly  no share  in  i t,  b ut we re
a c tua l ly ready  at the  c a ll of the  author i t i es  to rise  and  support
t h e m.  T he  B r i t i sh supremacy was  t r i u m p h a n t ly ma i n t a i n e d,  b ut
w h at was the  r e w a rd  f or the people ?  T he  w h o le  p a y m e nt  to the
last  f a r t h i ng  of the cost was  i n f l i c t ed  u p on the peopl e. Let  L o r d
N o r t h b r o o k say  h ow  shabbi ly  they we re  t r e a t ed:
" T he  w h o le  of the  o r d i n a ry expenses  in the Abys s ini an  e x p e d it i on we re pa id by  I n d i a, the  a r g ume nt used  b e i ng  that  I n d ia
w o u l d have  to pay her  t roops  in the  o r d i n a ry  w ay and  that she
o u g ht  n ot  to seek  to make a  p r o f it  o ut  of the affair.  B ut  h ow  d i d
the  H o me  G o v e r n m e nt treat the  I n d i an  G o v e r n m e nt  w h en  t roops
we re sent  o ut  d u r i ng the  M u t i n y ?  D i d they say,  ' We  d o n 't  w a nt
to make any  p r o f it  o ut  of this?'  N o t a  b it  of  i t.  E v e ry single  m an
sent  o ut was pa id  for by  India  d u r i ng the  w h o le  t i m e,  t h o u gh  o n ly
t e m p o r a ry use was made of  t h e m,  i n c l u d i ng the cost of  the ir
d r i l l i n g and  t r a i n i ng  as recruits  u n t il they we re sent  o u t ."

No comments:

Post a Comment