To Hyndman October 1, 1904 FROM Dadabhai NAVROJI

To Hyndman 
October 1, 1904.
If  y ou  w r i te  a n y t h i ng  to attack and disparage the Congress,
y ou  w i l l weaken and discourage the  o n ly  b o dy  t h r o u gh  w h om
I n d ia has  to  w o r k  o ut its  r edempt ion. This  w i l l be  an  i n j u ry  to
India  w h i ch  y ou  do  n ot  w a nt  to do. I hope, therefore,  y ou  w i ll
n ot do  a n y t h i ng to weaken the Congress. It has already  m u ch
to contend against  conf l i c t ing influences in  India itself. . . .
Wh a t e v er may be  y o ur  o p i n i on about the deficiencies* of the
I n d i an character,  y o ur course is to guide and help  t h em to supply
such deficiency. In  o ur  w o r k , one factor is  v e ry necessary—
Engl i shmen themselves to denounce the evils of the present
system. One Engl i shman  l i ke  y ou denounc ing the system  w i l l
produce more influence  in the minds of the  B r i t i sh  p u b l i c. . . .
We have  to convince and  conve rt the  B r i t i sh publ ic and every
help is progress towards the object.
Hyndman to Dadabhai 
February 2, 1905.
W h e t h er  y ou survive me, or I  y o u,  it  is certain that  so  l o ng
as my pen can  w r i te and my tongue can speak, the ma ny scores
of  m i l l i o ns  w h o are be ing  g r o u nd  d o wn  to death under  o ur
merciless rule  w i l l  n ot lack a  champion, such as he is, in this
c o u n t r y. I  l i ve  n ow  in the hope  of seeing the  o v e r t h r ow  of  o ur
infamous system, A R

No comments:

Post a Comment