Tata buy UK salt firm; final victory for The 1930 Salt March of Mahatma Gandhi

Tata buy UK salt firm; final victory for The 1930 Salt March of Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi began a new campaign in 1930, the Salt Satyagraha.

This action formed the symbolic focal point of a campaign of civil disobedience in which the state monopoly on salt was the first target. Prior to the beginning of the action, Gandhi sent a letter to the Lord Lieutenant "Dear Friend. Whilst, therefore, I hold the British rule to be a curse, I do not intend harm to a single Englishman or to any legitimate interest he may have in India. My ambition is nothing less than to bring round the English people through non-violence to recognize the injustice they have done to India. I do not intend to be offensive to your people. Indeed, I would like to serve your people as I would my own."



Yet the Lord Lieutenant didn't even reply personally to his letter. Gandhi held his last prayer meeting on the evening of the 11th of March 1930. "There can be no turning back for us hereafter. We will keep on our fight till swaraj is established in India. Those of them that are married should take leave of their wives. We are as good as parting from the Ashram and from our homes. --- Let nobody assume that after I am arrested there will be no one left to guide them. It is not I but Pandit Jawaharlal who is your guide. He has the capacity to lead."

MUMBAI | Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:30am IST
(Reuters) - Tata Chemicals' British unit, Brunner Mond, has signed a binding agreement to acquire British Salt Ltd for 93 million pounds, the Indian company said on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment